Comparing and contrasting two photos, describing similarities and diffirences
Maximum score – 7, preparation -1,5 minutes, description – 2 minutes (about 12-15 sentences)
Study the two photographs. In 1.5 minutes be ready to compare and contrast ([kənˈtrɑːst]) the photographs:
- give a brief description of the photos (action, location)
- say what the pictures have in common
- say in what way the pictures are different
- say which of the parties presented in the pictures you’d prefer
- explain why
You will speak for not more than 2 minutes. You have to talk continuously.
- An idea common for the two photos (generalization).
E.g. … play(s) an important role in our life/ is (are) an essential part of our life
– Stating intention
I’d like to compare and contrast these two pictures.
- A brief (!) description of the photos (~ 2 sentences to describe each photo)
In the first picture we can see … In the second picture there is/are …
If we look at …, we can see …
- 2 things the pictures have in common, similarities
As for the similarities between the pictures, they both show …
The pictures have some features in common.
In both pictures we can see..
One of the similarities is that…
Both pictures show/demonstrate…
- 2 differences
However, there are some differences.
Speaking about/as for the differences,…
In the first photo, while/whereas in the second one…
In contrast/in comparison/ unlike…
- Explaining which picture/thing in the picture you prefer
I personally prefer/ I’d personally prefer …
As for me/ As far as I’m concerned, the first/second picture is more appealing.
- Giving reasons
I think so/I’ve made this choice because/as …
To sum up, I can say that…
That’s all I wanted to say.