Preparation: 15 seconds
Response: 45 seconds
Choosing between two situations or opinions and explaining your choice.
Types of questions
- Agree or Disagree
- If / Imaginary
- Description or Explanation
- Advantage and Disadvantage
1.Agree or Disagree
- Some people think it is very important to have social interactions with neighbors. Others feel it is not important for neighbors to know each other. Which do you agree with, and why?
- State whether you agree or disagree with the following statement. Then explain your reasons using specific details in your explanation. Teachers should not assign homework to students.
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Children should help their parents with housework as soon as they are old enough. Use details and examples in your response.
- Do you prefer to study for tests in a group, or alone? Include details and examples to support your explanation.
- Some schools provide children with health education classes. Other schools send health information to parents, so that parents can teach their own children about health issues. Which approach do you think is better, and why?
- Some people like to watch TV news programs every day, while others like to watch them only now and then. Which do you prefer? Include details and examples to support your explanation.
3.If / Imaginary
- If you had a small amount of money, would you spend it right away or save it? Use details and examples to support your explanation.
- If you could visit any place in the world for just 24 hours, where would you choose to go? Use reasons and details to support your answer.
- If you were given an empty piece of land, would you rather use it to build a garden or a playground for children? Use reasons and details to support your answer.
4.Description or Explanation
- Does technology make our lives simpler or more complex? Give details and examples to support your response.
- Is it important to interact with other people in a good manner? Give details and explanations to support your response.
- Do you think bicycles will still be widely used in the future or replaced by other means of transportation?
5.Advantage and Disadvantage
- Should universities allow students to watch TV in their dormitories? What is your opinion and why? What are the advantages and disadvantages of watching TV in dormitories? Include reasons and examples to support your response.
- Some people like to take classes online instead of attending them in person. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this trend? What do you prefer? Use details and examples in your response.
- Your university is planning to make class attendance optional. What is your opinion and why? What are some advantages and disadvantages? Use details and examples in your response.